Dix Six – Charged With Attempted Murder

Five of the Six have now had attempted murder and additional firearms charges levied against them… Can’t wait for the trial of these scumbags to commence…

CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — The five men accused of plotting to sneak onto Fort Dix and kill soldiers there pleaded not guilty on Friday to the latest charges against them and received a new date for their trial.

Investigators say the men trained briefly in the Poconos, shooting at a rifle range near Tobyhanna Army Depot and renting a house at Big Bass Lake Estates.

U.S. District Judge Robert Kugler set jury selection for Sept. 29. Prosecutors said they expected the trial itself to take four to six weeks.

A lawyer for one of the suspects said he would be open to having the trial earlier if he and other defense lawyers could be ready earlier.
The men — all foreign-born Muslims in their 20s who had spent years in the Philadelphia suburbs — were arrested on May 7 and charged with conspiracy to kill military personnel in an alleged plot that was never carried out. Some of them also faced weapons charges.

This week, prosecutors added attempted murder charges against all five men and more weapons charges against four of them. All face life sentences if they are convicted of the conspiracy charge. Being convicted on all counts could add decades more.

In court Friday, the lawyers for all five entered not guilty pleas to all charges.

Preparing for the trial has been an arduous task because the government gathered a massive amount of evidence during a 15-month investigation.

On Friday, federal prosecutors said they would give defense lawyers recordings of 400 hours of some 12,000 telephone calls taken from the cell phone of suspect Eljvir Duka and two cell phones and a home phone of Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer over a period of about nine months. That comes to about 10 calls per day on each of four phones.

Deputy U.S. Attorney William Fitzpatrick said most of the calls were not relevant to the case. “They didn’t talk to each other on the phone,” he said.

“We have people ordering pizzas and scheduling doctor’s appointments?” Kugler asked.

“Yes,” Fitzpatrick said.

Still, the defense lawyers say they and their clients need to plow through all the evidence — which now runs to well over 1,000 hours of recordings — to see if they can find anything that helps their case.
Also at the hearing, the defense lawyers said they would seek to have the trial held outside the Camden area because media coverage there has been extensive and could taint the jury pool.

Advertisements

Dix Six Denied Bail

Federal Judge Robert Kugler rejects defense attorney’s shameful attempt to get the Dix Six released on grounds that they had been denied proper access to evidence. Previously they had complained that they were not allowed acces to the information because they were separated from the general population in jail. At one point they tried to have laptops issued to them to access information, not sure if that was granted or not, now their lawyers want them out on bail.

Interesting, the writer draws the conclusion that since Kugler did not make public the video distributed in jail by one of the defendents, that the Judge did not believe they were trying to recruit Jihadists. The decision not to make the video public was based on the content of the video and the fact that public consumption could prevent finding an impartial jury. He did not state that he did not believe they were trying to recruit other prisoners for terrorism…

Thank G”d this judge had enough common sense not to release these POS…

CAMDEN, New Jersey (Reuters) – A U.S. federal judge on Thursday denied bail to five Muslim men accused of plotting an armed attack on New Jersey’s Fort Dix army base.

Judge Robert Kugler rejected claims by lawyers for the men that they had been denied proper access to information that may be used against them at trial. The lawyers argued the men needed to be released on bail in order to get proper access.

The five men pleaded not guilty in June to charges of plotting to kill U.S. soldiers at the Fort Dix military base, located about 40 miles east of Philadelphia, and to possessing illegal weapons.

They are Yugoslav-born ethnic Albanian brothers Eljvir, Dritan and Shain Duka, all illegal immigrants who ran a roofing busineses in Cherry Hill, New Jersey; Mohamad Shnewer, a Jordanian-born taxi driver from Philadelphia; and Serdar Tatar, a Turkish-born convenience store clerk.

Prosecutors’ argued that at least one defendant had been promoting jihad, or Muslim holy war, against the West, among other inmates at a Philadelphia detention center where they are being held, but Kugler said he was not convinced.

The judge, who previously denied bail to the men shortly after their May 2007 arrest, rejected a request by prosecutors to make public a video that they say was used by Shnewer in the detention center to attract recruits to jihad.

Kugler said the “inflammatory” video includes “exhortations” by a figure that looks like Osama bin Laden, and images of dead and maimed people who “could be Muslims.”

Public access to the disc would risk prejudicing a jury whose likely members have already been exposed to extensive media coverage of the charges against the men, he said.

The trial, already postponed twice, is currently scheduled to begin on March 24.

(Reporting by Jon Hurdle; editing by Michelle Nichols and Jackie Frank)