Mohamad Shnewer is not being charged with planning to attack the White House, Capital Building., FBI HQ and CIA HQ, however evidence that he was planning to is being considered as evidence in his case.
Sorry, but the prosecutor needs to level these as charges as well, I would venture to say that he also discussed these plans with the other 4 still awaiting trial, more investigation needs to go into this by the prosecutor and they should be charged as well.
Prosecutors are trying to get taped conversations with the informant, Mohmoud Omar, admitted into evidence, however the defence is claiming that it has nothing to do with the case and would be prejudicial against his client. Let’s see, he is already charged with planning to attack Fort Dix and attempted murder, how could recordings of him planning to attack major assets not be relevant? And any evidence against his client is obviously prejudicial as it against him. To claim that it makes it more personal to the jury, that is not relevant, as that is what a good case does, for either the defense or jury. Additionally if he was planning to attack these targets, then it is all the more reason to bring it up in his trial.
CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — One of the five men awaiting trial on charges alleging they plotted an armed attack on soldiers training at Fort Dix discussed other targets including the White House and Capitol, prosecutors claim in court filings.
The allegations, contained in a motion filed Friday in U.S. District Court, stem from wiretapped conversations between defendant Mohamad Shnewer and Mahmoud Omar, an FBI informant.
According to prosecutors, Shnewer spoke on Aug. 11, 2006, of targeting FBI and CIA headquarters as well as the Army training base. They also said another defendant attempted to buy an AK-47 automatic weapon in 2005.
Prosecutors want the information admitted as evidence of criminal intent in the upcoming trial. Jury selection is set to begin on Sept. 29.
Attorney Rocco Cipparone, who represents Shnewer, said the wiretap evidence was not relevant to the case and could be prejudicial to his client, and he said he was considering whether to object to some or all of the prosecution’s motion.
“I don’t think it should be admitted,” Cipparone said Saturday. “It personalizes it more to jurors, so it can have an unfair prejudicial impact. Whether or not it’s admissible, it doesn’t change the theory of the defense.”
Defense attorneys are expected to attack the credibility of Omar and another FBI informant and may claim that their clients were entrapped.
The five men — Shnewer, Serdar Tatar and brothers Dritan, Eljvir and Shain Duka — were arrested in May 2007 and accused of plotting to sneak onto Fort Dix to attack soldiers.
A sixth suspect, Agron Abdullahu, pleaded guilty last year to providing weapons to the group and was sentenced to 20 months in prison.
All six men are foreign-born Muslims in their 20s who have spent much of their lives in Philadelphia or its southern New Jersey suburbs. They face charges including attempted murder, conspiracy and weapons offenses and could be sentenced to life in prison of they are convicted on all counts.
Filed under: Crimes, Military, National Security, Politics, Religion, Terrorism & Terrorist Threat, Under Reported | Tagged: Agron Abdullahu, Dix Six, Eljvir Duka, Fort Dix, Mahmoud Omar, Mohamad Shnewer, Rocco Cipparone, Serdar Tatar, Shain Duka |