DEBKAfile publishes here for the first time details of the ’ for wrecking Israel’s 60th . The project is called the “2008 Return”
Its highlights are disclosed here with DEBKAfile’s comments.
The Palestinian leader has circulated guidelines for three million Palestinians to leave their homes on the , Gaza, , and Lebanon on May 14 and march on Israel’s borders, including the . The march is to take place a week after Israel’s on May 8, 2008. If Israel obstructs their passage, they will strike camp and live in tents until Israel surrenders and lets them through.
This stunt will be accompanied by pressure from the Palestinian Authority on international organizations to force Israel to implement 194, passed by the General Assembly on Dec. 11, 1948.
DEBKAfile’s sources report that Abbas commissioned the “2008 Return” project from a special Fatah forum headed by from Ramallah, for Palestinian prisoners in the government and close associate of , who is serving life for five terrorist murders.
Operation “2008 Return” is described in its introduction as a decision by the “to implement (194), declare themselves holders of the UN blue banner, and return to their homeland, from which they were forcefully expelled [Jaffa, Haifa, , Ramla, Lod, Ashkelon etc]… in order to live in peace and security with their Israeli neighbors.”
[DEBKAfile: This motion is dredged up from the past as though history had stopped at that point and the subsequent 60 years of Arab belligerence, endless conflict and further UN resolutions had never happened. Another part of the same resolution appointed a to establish contact with the parties and assist them reach a final settlement of outstanding questions. This part was buried under decades of Arab rejection.]
The introduction goes on to state: “Neither the Jews nor the can stand against the desire of the to exercise their right of return to their homeland and to their homes, land, holy places [Jerusalem] and heritage.”
[DEBKAfile: Mahmoud Abbas incidentally lays claim to as well as Muslim holy sites – therefore also Nazareth and the sites.]
The introduction is followed by a set of instructions to Palestinian communities, of which seven are the most relevant:
1. All returnees must attach the and refugee card on their chests.
2. All returnees must bring their tents and other goods with them. If obstructed by Israeli forces from reaching their land, they must set up their tents on the border and stay there until Israel surrenders and allows them to cross.
[The plan is to deploy of Palestinians in indefinitely on all of Israel’s borders.]
3. Jewish friends are called upon to assist in resolving the Palestinian refugee problem.
4. Arab governments and friends all over the world are called on to support the logistics of the operation.
5. Palestinian holders of foreign citizenships, especially US and European, are to charter planes for flights to Israel or neighboring countries on May 14, 2008, as well reserving passage on tens of ships to dock at Israeli ports on this date.
6. Personal invitations will be extended to all world leaders for their support.
7. Kings and leaders of will be invited, as well as members of the and Knesset. Special invitations will be sent to the US president and members of the Senate.
The document ends with an appeal to the Arab nation, especially the , to support the operation politically, diplomatically and materially.
DEBKAfile’s Palestinian sources report that Mahmoud Abbas intends to submit his ambitious to the summit of Arab rulers meeting in Damascus March 29.
There is no knowing how much support he will win from Arab governments or whether the different Palestinian communities will rise to his call. The whole plan may simply fold for – or not. Abbas’ main objectives appear to be to upstage the warlike Hamas and throw a wet blanket over Israel’s .
Filed under: Politics, Religion, Under Reported | Tagged: Ashkelon, Fatah, Gaza Strip, Haifa, Israel, Jaffa, Lod, Palestine, Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, Ramla, UN Resolution 194, West Bank, Ziyad Abu Ain |