Now, if in fact this is true and N. Korea is going to abide by all conditions, this is surely good news. However the skeptic in me, tells me that it could just be a pony show, as N. Korea last did this under the Clinton Administration, only to find out years later that they have completed their nuke program…
Let’s also hope that this technolgy does not pop up in Syria as just an outsourcing on N. Korea’s part.
Also, notice how the media is not crediting the Bush Administration for for the diplomatic efforts used to broker this deal. The liberal media is more than ready to jump on anything the Bush Administration does wrong. Well were is the Fourth Estate now with cheers for the use of negotiations…
WASHINGTON — The United States said Monday that a team of U.S. experts had arrived at North Korea’s sole functioning nuclear reactor and begun the work of disabling the facilities.
State Department spokesman Tom Casey told reporters that the disabling of the North’s nuclear reactor at Yongbyon “is a positive first step in this process, and we certainly hope to see it continue.”
He had no details about what specific steps the team was conducting. “This is going to be a process that is going to take some time,” he said.
The North shut down Yongbyon in July and promised to disable it by year’s end in exchange for energy aid and political concessions from other members of talks on its nuclear program: the U.S., China, Japan, South Korea and Russia.
Disabling the reactor at Yongbyon, north of Pyongyang, would mark a further breakthrough in efforts to persuade the North to scale back its nuclear program. The country conducted its first-ever nuclear test in October of last year. /**/